Friday, March 8, 2013

Storyteller's Journey

Free Public Domain Cartoon
Extraordinary Emotions!

There are only so many ways a writer can show her characters expressing happiness, anger, love, curiosity, disappointment...well, you get the idea.

While revising my middle grade WIP, I have attempted to be more creative in my word choices with regard to my characters' emotions.

The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide To Character Expression, by Angela Ackerman & Becca Puglisi has proven to be of immense value when tackling this challenge. The authors host The Bookshelf Muse, an award-winning online resource for writers, and they are both members of the SCBWI. If you have not yet purchased a copy of this valuable guide, I would highly recommend it. It helped open my eyes to new ways of revealing my characters!

What reference books do you use in your descriptive writing efforts?

12 comments:

  1. I keep hearing about that book. I really need to look into it. It's something I struggle with and tend to be a little repetative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really worth it, Sara. I purchased it on my Kindle Fire and I love it. Take care ~

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Theresa. Your blog was rockin' today! ^_^

      Delete
  3. I agree, Victoria. It's a fabulous resource!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't gotten this book yet, Victoria. But I have heard a lot about it. My "study" in emotion involves reading my favorite authors and taking note of clever ways they show emotions. But I will certainly check out this book. Thanks for reviewing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about noticing other writers techniques in showing emotions. However, I do not take notes...must do that! Have a wonderful weekend, Linda!

      Delete
  5. I have my copy already bought, and it IS an excellent resource. Even if I don't use exactly what is in the book, it can spark an idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Carol. Even the introduction got my wheels going. (Now let's hope they take me somewhere! ^_^)

      Delete
  6. I actually won a copy of this book not long ago. It is really useful.

    ReplyDelete