Friday, January 25, 2013

Storyteller's Journey

Photo Courtesy of Public Domain
Damsel in Distress?

Clearly, this damsel is in danger and distress - but I'm not so sure about my female protagonist. After completing the second rewrite of my work in progress last fall, I became painfully aware that I had not challenged my main character enough. Consequently, I am busy completing another rewrite with a much more potent antagonist. 

As writers, we are all aware of the importance of obstacles in the path of our heroine/hero, but without a fearsome face for the reader to focus on as the "villain" our extraordinary efforts could fall flat.

This quote perfectly states what I so recently realized:

"If your antagonist isn't important, then your protagonist isn't important."
S. Alex Martin

Do you have any thoughts on the importance of your antagonist?

6 comments:

  1. Very true. I tend to err on the side of being too cautious. After it was read by beta readers I had to up the stakes and make the antagonist more evil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always tricky writing for middle grade when it comes to how much malice is acceptable for the age group. I'm hoping my MS will be for upper MG - we'll see. Have a great weekend, Sara.

      Delete
  2. Thought provoking post, Vicky! We must challenge our characters and not be afraid to do so.

    So true - it's tricky writing on what's acceptable for some genres/groups over others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Loree. I've heard many times by published authors that they do not think of what age group they're writing for...they just write the story that comes to them. Must remember that...

      Delete
  3. Like we've always said, it's one layer after another. Does it ever end?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I wonder, Kriston! At least we know that writing a manuscript is a marathon race...not a 5K!

      Delete