Friday, August 31, 2012

Storyteller's Journey

Keeping the Balance - Writing!

This summer has been one of the busiest I've had in many years: trips to our cabin, selling our cabin, a visit from my parents, a brief visit from my brother and his family, and then having our three boys here on and off has filled our time. Then throw in my husband's art festival, my trip to California, and our commitment to hosting two groups in our home monthly, and I barely kept my head above water! However, I bet everyone could share a similar story - summer's just a busy time.

What has kept me balanced through the chaos? Believe it or not, it's been my writing. Like many women, it would be easy for me to get swallowed up by the needs of my family. However, I made a commitment to make writing a priority a few years back, with the expectation to make strides in my skills and my word counts. What I didn't expect was how it would bring balance to my life. Although I'm still a pre-published, pre-represented writer, I take my writing seriously. This has slowly, but surely, caused my family and friends to take my passion seriously too - they know I need my time. I'm hoping that if I keep writing, I might just get a book published someday - but I'm also hoping to keep the balance in my life that I have so unexpectedly found.

I'll leave you with one of my favorite quotes from Albert Einstein:
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.

Public Domain