Friday, April 20, 2012

Storyteller's Journey

  Reflections Along the Way

When I first set out on my storyteller's journey I decided to inform my family and friends, right from the start. I received a mixed review of support, surprise, and skepticism. I purposely made it known that I was planning to write, with the hope of being published someday. My reason for making my plans public, rather than keeping them private, was because I know myself - I do better under pressure!
What I have discovered in the last four years is that I have gained respect from many, but also some negative remarks from a few. However, the people who matter to me the most on this adventure, have proven to be a source of great encouragement..including my blogging buddies!

Are your family and friends aware of your writer goals?
If so, when did you share your intentions with them?

5 comments:

  1. I was a closet writer for a year before I told anyone in my family. At first they thought it was just another hair-brained idea. Its been five years and they are all very suportive of my goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your YA manuscript rocks, Kriston. I'm so glad you decided to write. I think the members of my extended family are still scratching their heads at my goals, but Michael and the boys have been super supportive. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. My daughter can't wait to read my cleaned up draft, and Hubby can't wait for the big deal! (Lol). Sometimes, at work, I'll get asked if I've sent my work to agents, forgetting that it such a lengthy process -editing/rewriting, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Deb! I think my "shift in gears" from healthcare to writing took some of my friends & family by surprise. They are slowly getting used to the idea. Anyone in the arts is truly looking at a lengthy process - like you said. Take care ~

      Delete
  3. I um... only came out the closet about a year ago. I mean... they knew I was writing articles and columns for papers but no one knew about the binders and binders of stories that hubby and kids trip over daily. My biggest annoyance is that they then expected instant results. After a year, they stopped asking if I'm published or how many books I wrote, or what they are about.

    ReplyDelete