Friday, October 18, 2024

Storyteller's Journey

Fight for the Freedom to Read!

While I usually attempt to be a peacemaker, a few things can get me pretty riled up: like banning books!
As a mother, part of me sort of understands the concerns about the type of books my child reads. However, I cannot for the life of me understand why other parents feel it's their duty to ban my children (grandchild) from certain books. Fighting for this freedom right now reminds me of other freedoms that are currently being challenged.

The freedom to read is no less important than other freedoms we cherish. Think about it: Having an authority tell a child what she can and cannot read is a backdoor way of brainwashing. History tells us how that went last time!

Tomorrow libraries across the country are sponsoring a "day of action." Click here to learn more. Ultimately, the freedom to read may be settled at the ballot box, so be sure to vote!


"He who destroys a good book, kills reason itself."
John Milton