Friday, April 7, 2023

Storyteller's Journey

A Spring Holiday Message

While I'm a writer of stories for children, I'm also a mother and a U.S. citizen concerned about the safety of our children.
After the shooting in Nashville, Tennessee, on Monday, March 27th, I was sick to my stomach and was emotional for much of the day. The murder of any human being is horrendous; the murder of little children rips apart the very fabric of our country's future. 


I had the same reaction after the shootings in Newtown, Connecticut; Parkland, Florida; Uvalde, Texas; and too many more. After the shooting on Monday at the private school in Nashville, I found myself thinking, I'm glad my sons aren't school age anymore. But I quickly remembered these mass shootings are not only in schools; they're in movie theaters, bars, churches, and neighborhoods across America.

The cyclical nature of the gun reform dialogue amongst political leaders is ludicrous. As long as both sides stay firmly encamped on their side of the issue, no one is addressing the problem of our children dying every day. 

During these religious holidays, whatever your faith, or lack thereof, may we all commit to better loving our fellow man. May we commit to work together, to find a path forward, to end this epidemic of death.

The Nashville Covenant School Shooting Victims:


Top - L to R: Evelyn Dieckhaus; William Kinney; Hallie Scruggs
Bottom - L to R: Mike Hill; Cynthia Peak; Katherine Koonce

"Let us not love in word, neither in tongue, but in deed and truth."
 I John 3:18