Monday, February 20, 2023

Bibliophile's Corner

Hot Dog
by Doug Salati

Flap Copy Description:
When you're too hot and everything is too much, sometimes, all you need is a stretch of sand and open sky to bring you back to yourself.

My Thoughts:
Three weeks ago, I did something I most always do at the end of January: I tune in to listen to the ALA Youth Media Awards. As soon as the Newbery and Caldecott Awards were announced I went online and quickly purchased a copy of each. (I've learned before that if I wait, I may have a long wait to obtain a copy of those special books!) I'm so glad I did! This year's Caldecott winner is Hot Dog, by Doug Salati. This book is definitely deserving of the award. (Click here to learn about the Caldecott Award that is given to the illustrator of a children's picture book.) The artwork by Mr. Salati is fresh, vibrant, and colorful. He perfectly captured the New York City summer streets, as well as the nearby seashore. The text includes the theme of how nature can revitalize anybody - even a hot dog! I highly recommend this beautiful picture book for children aged three and up!

Click here to read about Mr. Salati's reaction to receiving the Caldecott Award.