Friday, November 5, 2021

Storyteller's Journey

The Long Road Home

In so many ways my soul feels as though it's coming home. It's not just coming home to the physical place I've always dreamed of, but coming home emotionally, intellectually, socially, and professionally. Maybe it's because I'm getting to the age that you really just don't care what people think anymore. There's so much freedom in arriving at that glorious destination. You also learn a lot about truth.


The truth about who your friends are.

The truth about your family.

The truth about yourself as a writer.

Because in the end, authenticity is one of the traits I most treasure in my friends, my family, and myself. If you can't be authentic with them, then you're a  prisoner to the whims of society. Batted about with every wind that blows your way. As a writer, authenticity may be even more essential. The one sure thing that can make our stories unique is the honesty we place on the page derived from our life experiences. We just need the courage to do that.

It feels incredible to be coming home.