Friday, October 15, 2021

Storyteller's Journey

Artwork: Public Domain
October Obstacles

Last week I discussed the unexpected joys I've experienced since moving to a rural area. As I sit here in my small community library (which I'm so grateful for!) I find myself feeling frustrated. After living in our new home for seven weeks now, we are still unable to obtain internet, TV, or even a landline telephone. Add to that, that I just finished up a week of being on call for jury duty; somehow it was my first time being summoned as a juror. I won't describe the experience since we're sworn to secrecy. Let's just say I won't be in the witness (or juror) protection program anytime soon.

These obstacles have reminded me of just how much of a creature of routine and ritual I really am. It feels like I'm the little engine that could...that has fallen off the tracks! Now, I'm the little engine that can't. In any event, I've been aware for a very long time how repelled I am by change. Even though there are personal blessings at our new home, as a writer, it's been tough. Had not life aligned the stars in a miraculous formation, I'd probably still be attached to the woodwork of our old home.

So how can I regroup and get my writing momentum back?

By placing one foot (or finger) in front of the other. My new normal may just well include the library as my office for a while. 

Another thought is that the journey is always more important than the destination. (Or daily wordcount.) That's why, years ago, I began calling my Friday posts, Storyteller's Journey. This, too, is part of that journey.

Living life, with all of it's unusual experiences is essential for a writer's relevance. If everything was always easy, what would we have to say? 

These obstacles have also reminded me of the importance of appreciating the little things in life: The autumn breeze through the trees around our property, the ever-present black-tailed deer that share our land, and on and on. However, this will be a laborious process of transformation: from being a city girl to becoming country gal.

What are your thoughts on regaining momentum when it's lost?