Friday, February 26, 2021

Storyteller's Journey

Winter Inspiration!

Last weekend I "attended" the SCBWI Winter Conference via its ZOOM links; what a wonderful way to be inspired - right in my own home!

In addition to inspiration, attending the annual event is a great way to make connections. There are always those writers, illustrators, and industry professionals that I've never heard of before; this year was no exception. In years past (pre-pandemic), I've attended a variety of SCBWI conferences and retreats in person. While I miss those trips I've made to Los Angeles, New York City, and other cities, the content offered by the Society of Children's Book Authors & Illustrators this year was just as pertinent to my journey as a storyteller as ever. In fact, because of Covid-19, the variety of ZOOM meetings I've participated in may have been even more important, since they have served as a lifeline. The life of a children's book author is a solitary one, but that doesn't mean that we don't still need time with our peers - I know I do.

In the middle of this dark winter, the event was extremely inspirational!

12 X 16 oil on panel "Nocturne Snow" by Michael Lindstrom
Speaking of inspiration this winter, Michael Lindstrom (my fine artist husband), painted multiple oil compositions while standing out in the freezing, snowy weather we recently received. The lovely abstract landscape above was painted one evening out on a nearby street. Michael's commitment to his craft always astounds and challenges me.

Where have you found your inspiration this winter?