Friday, September 25, 2020

Storyteller's Journey

Surviving Turbulent Times

Last spring - at the beginning of the pandemic - I blogged about Coping in a Time of Crisis. But at that time, like most Americans, I believed we'd be through Coronavirus by this autumn.

Unfortunately, through a number of errors our government made, this week our country passed 200,000 deaths from Covid-19. The purpose of this post is not to add to the already turbulent time we're in, but how - as writers - we might survive it. Maintaining the discipline to wear a mask and to socially distance from others is not easy. Additionally, the challenge to maintain a positive outlook in the midst of social unrest, political turmoil, and a poor economy have made our society feel like we're all living in a dystopian novel, rather than the land of the free and the home of the brave. I've noticed feeling a bit tired and frazzled for no reason. The months of isolation are affecting everyone's mood.

For me, starting a new project enables me to keep moving forward. Like a life preserver moving forward by someone pulling its rope, a literary project does the same for me. Without it, I fear I'd float aimlessly within the isolation brought on by the Covid-19 Pandemic.

Right now, that isn't easy for me since I just had my children's book - THE NIGHT OF THE NORTH - release. But it's essential. So, writing the middle grade novel I outlined last summer is now my main focus.

What about you? What new project or hobby can you take on?
It doesn't even need to be a writing-related endeavor. I'm also considering knitting again - something I've not done since I was a teen! (My husband just may receive knitted slippers for Christmas.) 😀

This post is not to imply that beginning a new project will solve all your pandemic-related problems. If you are experiencing serious challenges - whether physical, mental, or economic - please seek out the assistance of a professional. It's also a good time to turn to your faith - in whatever form that might take. I know my faith has helped me tremendously, to cope with all the challenges presented to us this year.

Wishing you safety & strength as we navigate an uncertain future.