Friday, December 6, 2019

Storyteller's Journey

Reflections on NaNoWriMo

If you've been reading my NaNoWriMo updates each Friday, then you already know how I approached the 50,000 word goal within the month of November: I'd pen most of my words the first three weeks of the month and leave a very small portion left to complete after Thanksgiving. That's just what I did. On Saturday, November 30th I wrote 884 words to reach a grand total of 50,028 words. While it's barely over the finish line, I did it!

During NaNoWriMo19, I realized a few things about myself as a writer:

1- Knowing that I can meet a deadline means a lot. (Hopefully, it will mean something to an agent, editor, or publisher, in the future!)

2- While I'm pleased with my accomplishment of succeeding at NaNoWriMo, it is apparent to me, that I'd never be able to maintain such a high daily wordcount. I usually aim for about 1,000 words a day, whereas I was aiming for 2,000+ words during the novel challenge.

3- Spending regular time with my friends & family is important to me. It was difficult to say "no" so many times during NaNoWriMo.

4- Maintaining my exercise regime was also tough during NaNoWriMo.

THE BIG PLUS: I completed the first draft of a novel! No small thing. For me, NaNoWriMo is probably not an annual event. However, when I feel I need to "catch up" with my writing, it's definitely the way to go. So far I've been successful at both NaNoWriMo attempts: in 2011 & 2019.

Congratulations to all the NaNoWriMo winners!