Friday, October 12, 2018

Storyteller's Journey

Public Domain Photo
A Writer's Up & Down Life

Last Friday I discussed the importance of just "jumping in" at some point along your storyteller's journey. That being said, there is no way to avoid the "ups and downs" that come with being a writer.

So what's a scribe to do??

In this post I'll share some techniques to deal with a writer's up & down life; much of which I learned the hard way along my rocky road as a writer. Here are just a few:

* The first thing I learned was that no one escapes the ups and downs - they're both exciting and excruciating.

* The journey is best shared as you experience it with friends.

* Have other interests besides writing. I love gardening, reading, traveling, and spending time with my family & friends.

* Understand you've signed up for a marathon, not a sprint. It will take a long time to realize your goals.

* Take an occasional break from writing, or at least from social networking. (I always take a summer break from blogging, but I continue working on my current project.)

* Keep your eyes on a goal. Whether it's reaching a daily word count, finishing a manuscript, or participating in NaNoWriMo - make sure the goal is attainable. While gaining agent representation is a great goal, it's so important that you have goals that are more in your control. Meeting some smaller goals will be a powerful fuel for your journey.

*Finally, have fun! Like a roller coaster ride, your journey can be exhilarating or traumatic. Be courageous and embrace the experience.

Treading my storyteller's path has taught me so much about life!