Friday, May 11, 2018

Storyteller's Journey

Salmon River - Wildwood Recreational Area - Brightwood, OR 
Writing Retreats

The photo on the left was taken in the summer of 2014 while I was on a writing retreat with a critique partner. I'm so excited to be going back to that area in July with my critique group!

The benefits from a writing retreat, especially one that is near a natural setting, are endless. They not only inspire your creativity, they refresh and invigorate your soul. Since I always include natural settings in my stories, spending time in the out of doors is invaluable. (It's perfect when I can do it near my story's actual setting for inspiration and accuracy.) Without exception, the personal summer writing retreats I've been on have been the most productive creative time I've ever spent.

There is no shortage of spectacular places in the Northwest to plan a retreat. (We'll be in one of the lovely rental cabins available on Mt. Hood in Oregon.) However, you can plan a retreat anywhere. 

My two critique partners - Kriston & Deb - in my backyard last summer
Since summer is on the way, now is the time to plan a retreat with your writer friends. Whether it's out in the woods, in a park, or in your own backyard, the benefits are well worth the time it takes to coordinate your retreat. Best of all, you'll no doubt have a blast, like we always do.