Friday, February 17, 2017

Storyteller's Journey

View from my Grand Hyatt hotel room in Manhattan.
Flurries of Snow & Inspiration!

Last week I traveled to New York City to celebrate my sons' birthdays, and to attend an SCBWI Conference as well. While the weather was fantastic when I arrived (62 degrees), the following day it snowed! However, the winter weather didn't dampen my time with my sons, Kevin & Brian, nor my time at the conference. I had a wonderful stay in Manhattan - personally and professionally.


It was my first time at the New York SCBWI Winter Conference, and what a conference it was. I attended workshops given by agent Beth Phelan, editor Andrew Harwell, and author/poet Sonya Sones - all were amazing. I heard an assortment of awesome panels, and  super keynotes: from illustrator Bryan Collier, and author Tahereh Mafi.

Sara Pennypacker is welcomed by SCBWI co-founder, Lin Oliver.
However, it was the closing keynote from award-winning author Sara Pennypacker that brought the house down. She gave an informative & inspirational speech for the ages. Extraordinary!

What I gained from this conference was invaluable: information and inspiration in abundance. So much so, that it will take me weeks, if not months, to process through it all. But I wouldn't have it any other way!

By the time my plane was landing in the Pacific Northwest last Monday night I was completely spent. I'd been in an airport or airplane for nearly 12 hours. What an adventure! As always, it was great to be back home.

If you ever have a chance to attend the SCBWI New York Conference, or the L.A. Conference, find a way to do so. In addition to the great information & inspiration you'll receive, you'll also realize that while you spend hours laboring alone over your own manuscript, you're really part of an enormous community of writers & illustrators just like you.