Friday, May 30, 2014

Storyteller's Journey

Photo Credit: Public Domain
      "Curiouser and Curiouser"
Recently I realized that the idea of falling down a hole is a concept that's come up at least a couple of times in my writing. In my W.I.P. my protagonist goes back in time and describes the extraordinary experience as, "falling down a hole, or passing through a tight tunnel." (Alice in Wonderland is also mentioned in the first book of my proposed middle grade series.)

I've also used a photo of a book tunnel here on Writ of Whimsy to represent my feelings in progressing through the process of my first book being published. At times it's felt like being in the eye of a storm, or, once again, falling down a hole. The feeling of leaving a stable, familiar environment and leaping into a mysterious, new world, is how my subconscious is feeling: Both apprehensive and exhilarated.

Why is that? I have a few theories, but the main one is that to experience a new adventure there is almost always a bit of risk involved. These Lewis Carroll quotes from The Adventures of Alice in Wonderland seem to be appropriate for my life as a writer right now:

"I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see."

"Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle."

"I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then."

One thing's for sure: things are getting "curiouser and curiouser!"

Today, a production crew will be at our home shooting an interview/book trailer. In my wildest imaginations I never thought I'd see a day like today. Consequently, I'm turning my comments off. (The video will appear on my website when it's launched later this summer.)