Monday, March 10, 2014

Bibliophile's Corner

Wildwood ~ Imperium
by Colin Meloy, and
illustrated by Carson Ellis

Flap Copy Description:
A young girl's midnight séance awakens a long-slumbering malevolent spirit...

A band of runaway orphans allies with an underground collective of saboteurs and plans a daring rescue of their friends, imprisoned in the belly of an industrial wasteland...

Two old friends draw closer to their goal of bringing together a pair of exiled toy makers in order to reanimate a mechanical boy prince...

As the fate of Wildwood hangs in the balance.

My Thoughts:
Since I am a big fan of Colin Meloy's first two books in the Wildwood Chronicles, I was not surprised to find that the third installment of this scintillating series is just as spectacular. The lengthy 580 page epic saga includes multiple points of view, so I would say that it's not for the faint of heart. However, the wonderful web of extraordinary excitement and tantalizing twists and turns make this idyllically illustrated novel well-worth the read. (And, oh, did I mention that Mr. Meloy is a master of alliteration?!) I would highly recommend Wildwood Imperium to readers from the ages of eight to eighty!

To read an inspiring letter from Colin Meloy and Carson Ellis, click here: http://www.wildwoodchronicles.com/authors

9 comments:

  1. This sounds like a good read. I love anything to do with seances and spirits and such. (Well, in books. In real life I don't go there.) Good review and "good book" alert. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're interested in reading this book, be sure and begin with Book I - Wildwood and Book II Under Wildwood. Mr. Meloy's books are a cross between the Lord of the Rings and the Chronicles of Narnia! ^_^

      Delete
  2. 580 pages! That seems really large for a middle grade book. I'm glad the series ended well for you =) I'll have to look into book one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda, Each of the Wildwood books is quite lengthy, but all are wonderful. By the way, I'm not certain that this series has ended. The author definitely left a door open for another installment of this series. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. I also meant to mention that I would probably call the Chronicles of Wildwood an upper middle grade series. Totally appropriate for ages from 8 -14, or higher, but obviously, not for the novice reader! ^_^

      Delete
  3. My daughter has the first one, but neither of us have read it yet. After reading the description for this one, I want to start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I've known you for a while, a least a bit, I'm pretty sure you're going to love this, Theresa - so will your daughter!

      Delete
  4. I still need to read these books. Gah, must move them up the list.

    ReplyDelete