Friday, November 25, 2011

Storyteller's Journey

          Tip #6 - Join the SCBWI

The previous tips I gleaned from the speakers' presentations at the SCBWI conference I attended last month. This last tip, comes from my own wonderful experience.
Joining the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators has turned out to be a great investment. For a modest membership fee you receive regular updates of the latest news in children's literature, which includes: writing tips, opportunities for grants, scholarships, and awards; not to mention the open invitation to attend a number of writers' conferences around the country, some open only to SCBWI members. You're also informed of new and upcoming authors; as well as great links to agents and editors. One of the most unexpected benefits I encountered was the chance to network with wonderful writers who take their craft seriously...and know how to laugh! Also, I am aware of at least a handful of agents that have begun to accept submissions from only SCBWI members; and some who prefer to have met you at one of their conferences.
I hope these tips have been helpful! Next week: My impressions of NaNoWriMo.